Food poisoning is mainly caused by eating contaminated food which has bacteria. There are various types of food poisoning. Bacterial food poisoning is frequently caused due to bacteria in the food. Salmonella is one of the most commonly found bacteria in eggs and chicken. Toxic food poisoning for example botulism is caused by bacteria present in honey and fish. It is also caused by eating the food which is not prepared properly.
When a person is suspected of food poisoning, find out the reason for it by enquiring of what food has been taken in last 48 hours. The effect will take long time to show its symptoms but in case of toxic food poisoning the symptoms are seen very quickly.
The most commonly found symptoms in are:
• Unclear speech
• Difficulty swallowing
• Difficulty breathing
If you notice any of the above mentioned symptoms, you should visit your nearest urgent care.
• If you are facing any difficulty in breathing, visit immediately to your nearest urgent care.
• Move to a place where there is lot of fresh air and where you feel comfortable.
• Drinks lot of fluids such as juices or glucose to drink, if you have vomiting diarrhea.
• Do not eat solid food.
• Avoid alcoholic sugary or caffeinated drinks. The products like Pedialyte and Rehydrate are good to treat but are bit expensive.
• Sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade are also available in urgent care centers in case of food poisoning for adults when diluted with water as there is lot of sugar content in undiluted ones.
• After you consume sufficient fluids, solid food in small quantities can be taken. Plain food that can be easily digested can be taken.
• Each time it doesn’t require intake of medicines over the long run, but generally they are safe to use as guided. If there are any concerns consult the urgent care specialist immediately.
• The main treatment for it is placing all the fluids back to the body which is lost through intravenous or by drinking.
The treatment for food poisoning in urgent care will be different depending on the severity of the symptoms and the age of the person who is affected.
• Children will require close observation and need lots of care. As they don’t have much resistance power.
• When the person is suffering from eating contaminated food with pesticides or mushroom poisoning, the urgent care treats the condition quickly by giving antibiotics.
• The poison caused due to eating contaminated food is very serious and need utmost care. In some serious conditions, the person should be kept in intensive care unit in the hospital and treated.
After the person is given first-aid, move the person immediately to the hospital depending on the severity.