In my ‘un-biased’ opinion, the crockpot / slow cooker
is one of the most convenient and easy to use appliances
in my kitchen. The time savings features of the
slow cooker and the delicious dinners that have
resulted more than offset any minor drawbacks.
Before I list my top reasons why the crockpot is the
most useful appliance in any kitchen, I will list
a few of the areas where it does not perform as well.
– Large cuts of meat such as boneless prime rib or
leg of lamb are still best when oven roasted.
– Except for stews and chowders, the slow cooker
does not cook fish very well.
– The slow cooker collects a lot of the juices
since the steam does not escape during cooking and these
juices can become diluted and watery, which can affect
the flavoring of the food.
– If not careful, a slow cooker can overcook food -especially
some of the more tender meats and poultry.
These drawbacks are relatively minor compared to the
positives which I will list now.
– The slow cooker needs virtually no tending while
it cooks, freeing you up to do other chores or recipes.
– The slow cooker will tenderize less expensive, tough
cuts of meat and make great stews out of them.
– The slow cooker allows you to be out of the kitchen
for extended periods of time -sometimes even all day.
– Burning your food is rarely a problem. The slow cooker
will make many dishes for you better than any other
appliance -especially those that tend to stick to
the bottom of a pan.
In my opinion the slow cooker is one of the most
under-utilized and yet superior of kitchen appliances.
When used for what it does best, you will find that you
are able to prepare great dishes in less time than you