If you have decided that starting a cake business from home is perfect for you, then you may have some initial questions. Overall, a cake business is relatively straightforward but chocked full of options when it comes to equipment and supplies. Let’s go over some of the general products you may need for your cake business and some of the extra specialty items you may enjoy having.
1. Heavy Duty Mixer – most people own a mixer but you may want to upgrade if you are planning on starting a cake business from home.
2. Pans – As you know, these come in all shapes and sizes. Your three basic include your circular, versatile or character shaped. Tip: Don’t skimp on good quality cake pans, it does make a difference!
3. Large, heavy duty cooling racks.
4. Turntables for decorating. Make sure they are sturdy!
5. Good, quality separators for multi-layered cakes.
6. A camera to take beautiful pictures of your cakes so future clients can see your work.
7. An air brusher is definitely an item that is not necessary. But, as your business grows and your cake decorating art develops, you may want to invest in one.
8. A projector for the more serious cake business entrepreneurs. This will help you intensify the designs that go onto your specialty cakes. Again, this is not a necessity but definitely a luxury for those who want it.
9. Bowls and spatulas for mixing!
10. Food colors for coloring!
11. Obviously an oven for baking the cakes themselves.
12. Icing tubes, icing bags and accessories.
13. Rolling pins, non-stick boards and mats.
14. Brushes for painting if you are into that sort of decorating for your cake business.
16. Dummy Cakes.
17. Knives and Cake Levelers.
18. Flower making accessories are a great investment to help add a little style to your cakes.
19. Books on cake businesses and cake decorating for new ideas and tips.
20. A couple of great web resources such as sites or forums where you can talk to other cake decorators, ask questions and share your knowledge with others!
Now, if you didn’t before, you have a great list to start from. Some of these items are less necessary than others. It is up to you how much you can invest in the start-up of your business. If you just want to begin making one-layered birthday cakes then you may not need everything on this list. But who knows, hopefully your business will boom from the beginning and then you will need every item on this list and more!